How to do your Work while keeping your job



                        Almost no one puts in the work to create or invent
                                                                        Seth Godin, “Linchpin”

For the last 10 years of my life I was putting myself in the same challenging situation: I would get a Software Developer job and would try to keep it for a while. It’s not very hard for me to get a job, because I interview well. Keeping a job is not hard either, because I’m a fast study and I welcome feedback. But it’s very hard for me to contain myself within a job description while keeping my sanity.

I like to shake things up, ask stupid questions, and do the impossible. And I like to do it 9-to-5.  It’s very hard to pull off for a number of reasons:

  • Most people like security, boundaries and status. People don’t like changes An innovator is sometimes perceived as a ‘climber’ 
  • Some people tend to work hard rather then smart, seeing clock-watchers as lazy and indifferent.
  • No one likes to hear criticism. No one likes to throw away a piece of work they invested their time in. No one likes to feel non-inventive or non-creative.

But for a creative person, not creating is torture. For an inventor, not inventing is suicide.
Let’s define Work as something no one else can do, because you were born to do it. Let’s define a job as a sum of expectations that sometimes manifests in a job description. How can you do your Work on the job? How can you change the world, make friends, and be home for dinner? I don’t have the ultimate answer but I’ll tell you what works for me.

ü      Stay curious and fascinated. Never stop asking questions. Make every co-worker your mentor. It makes people feel respected and valued. Acknowledge a good idea whenever you see it. Don’t forget to say “WOW”. Don’t forget to say “Thanks”
ü      Worry about co-workers first. Your first inventions should help your co-workers, not your clients. See what your colleagues are spending most of their time on, find what hurts them the most and try to fix it. Make peace. Fix a broken window. Bring an apple to a hungry teacher.
ü      Get to know your users or clients. What bothers them? What’s missing? What would make them happy beyond belief? No go and invent something.
ü      Build the first prototype, write up a design, draw a picture, do something tangible. Invest time to make it pretty. Now take it to your mentors, one by one and humbly accept criticism. Improve. Iterate. Repeat.
ü      Once you have something ready, present it to anyone who has time to listen. Never stop selling your product. Keep telling stories, keep asking questions. And keep praising your mentors for the wonderful ideas and assistance in doing your project.

The approach I described can be easily illustrated in a family environment. A family gets home. Everyone is hungry. The designated cook goes to the kitchen and starts cooking. An hour later, the family gathers at the table. As they taste the food, the people might think: “That’s not my favorite dish” or “It’s not cooked right”. But if the cook asks the family members to come over and help in the kitchen, then everyone will enjoy working together and will enjoy the result much more. It’s harder to be critical about the result if you invested an effort in the process. And if everyone enjoyed the food it’s easier to ask someone to do the dishes.


Popular posts from this blog

Disney World

Junk talk is bad for you