Your Educational Goals

I've never let my school interfere with my education.

Pressure's in the air. December 31st is such a high pressure holiday for many. New Year's . I'm glad I'm not a part of the New Year Resolution Club. And Jewish New Year was in September, so I should be done with goal setting by now... But pressure's in the air:
 "was it a good year? am I a good person? do I have a good life? did I have a good day? do I have a good job? am I doing a good job? where do I go from now? where am I going? how do I measure up?"

Are you setting goals today? Are you evaluating our progress? Then consider this simple tip: set educational goals for yourself.

You see, there are two kids of goals you can set: Project-Based Goals and Educational Goals.
Most New Years Resolutions focus on Project-Based Goals: lose weight, find a new job, finish a project.

Measuring your success by looking at  Project-Based Goals could be very frustrating. After all, we all know that there are so many things we can't control.  You can work very hard, but project could still fail. You can ace the interview but still not get the job. You can starve yourself to death but still be unhappy with your weight loss.

So instead set Educational Goals for yourself . How do you do it? Ask why. Why are you doing the project in the first place? Why do you want to lose weight? Why do you want the new job? The pressure you feel, the pressure that makes you set new goals, that's not an outside pressure. That's the drive to be better, to live for real, to grow up! Everybody wants that. That's why you start projects and set Project-Based Goals in the fist place.

Project Based Goals have one significant advantage: they are easy to measure. So you can obsess about them all you want, brag about them, write them on your wall, put them in spreadsheets, break them down into sub-projects like a real PMO.

But don't get your school get in the way of your education. Remember your educational goals. Remind yourself about them and evaluate yourself based on those goals. Remember why you're doing it, and you'll enjoy the process whether you hit the Project goal or not.




Popular posts from this blog

Disney World

Junk talk is bad for you

How to do your Work while keeping your job