Fear of Public Speaking, Re-Learned

Our learning group finished the "Moed Katan" Tractate of the Babylonian Talmud today. I was the only one who studied with the group from the beginning to the end, so they suggested that I would make the Siyum, a very short  speech and reading of the last lines of the tractate. The audience had about 50 people, and I was quite nervous. All my public speaking skills vanished, all the plans evaporated and I felt like in second grade.

(That time I had to read a short poem in front of the entire school, and the size of the audience was so overwhelming that I forgot my lines. Everything.) This time I also forgot my lines, but very fast I regrouped and ended up saying something that had to be said. Right before the speech they let me know that instead of 5-7 minutes I planned for I will have 1-2 minutes. So there was just enough time for the very essence of what I know ( not much) , what I feel  ( overwhelming mixed feelings ), and what has to be said ( G-d knows what). I went into stupor in front of the audience for a few seconds, and than said the only thing one is capable of in a situation like this: the things that had to be said.

And people liked it.

Maybe the reason they liked it was because I did not speak like a public speaker.

I still remember the time when most people couldn't give a speech. But the same people had no trouble relating to one another.
I still remember when most people would be very shy when meeting strangers. But the same people could build friendships that lasted for lifetimes.
I still remember the time when most people weren't smooth talkers. And maybe that's why it was easier to trust them.

The time I remember is not the good old time. The time I remember is our time.
Most people couldn't give a speech, most people are shy, most people aren't smooth. But most people can be trusted to say the things that have to be said when the time comes.

There's a very visible minority of people who look good but 'smell fishy' if you know what I mean.
They are smooth talkers, speech givers , professional networkers and pickup artists. They can captivate audiences, sell snow to Eskimos, they can present anything to anyone and look good.

 And there is plenty of opportunity for those people to become even more visible then ever. The technologies , the techniques, the experts, the tips and tricks are generally available.
"Use them! Become a public speaker! Grow a following! What do you have to lose!?"

I'll tell you what you have to lose. Your real voice. Your real words. The things  that have to be said. The trust of handful of people who needed to hear what you have to say.

The fear of public speaking is a mighty fire that burns away all unnecessary words, so they never come out of your mouth. So if the thing did not have to be said will never come out of your mouth and you will just stand there like a fool. Most people shouldn't be public speakers anyway and most public speakers should not be public speakers either.

People should be people. And once in a while, when things have to be said in public they will be said by someone. It doesn't really matter who says them. Maybe next time it will be you. But you don't have to get professional training, you'll be fine.

Because if there's enough love for the subject and for the audience you will say the words that have to be said. Not like a public speaker. Like a private talker.





Popular posts from this blog

Disney World

How to do your Work while keeping your job

Junk talk is bad for you