Take me back to Shutter Island ( A review of "Inception" )

If you plan to watch "Inception" don't read any further. Or go watch Shutter Island. I loved Nolan since "Memento" but Scorsese he is not.

In the last couple of months I have seen DiCaprio struggling with insanity four times: thrice at home, by re-watching the Shutter Island DVD over and over before returning it to Netflix, and once yesterday, in the middle of IMAX Theater while he was trying the Inception on me.

First I thought the Inception was working because the movie took too long and I did not remember the beginning. But then  I woke up and got bored. Because there was too much of irrelevance: too much Matrix 10 years too late, too much shooting in fighting when it does not hurt, too much dreaming when it was time to wake up, too much silly questions when we remember the answers from all the other movies. 

And behind all that I was seeing the usual suspect, an evil MBA in a suit. I knew Nolan could do much better only if he could stop shooting the next summer blockbuster. I knew DiCaprio, Page and Murphy could carry the movie on their shoulders had they been given lead and not supporting roles. I knew watching the action would be much more fun only if most of it could have happened off screen.

But it's easy for  me to say. I was the movie bum in IMAX and I was watching a good summer flick. There was action, mystery and good cast. There were special effects and artsy cinematography. Two and a half hours well spent. Thank you very much. Now take me back to Shutter Island.

Popular posts from this blog

Disney World

When I grow up I'll be a social worker

Junk talk is bad for you