Lost

 This was my Ice Breaker at Toastmasters a week ago. It went well.
Mr. Jacob, Fellow Lost Fans, And most welcome others, Namaste !
For those of you who missed the orientation, "Lost" is a TV show about being lost in life, in time and in space, meeting new people on a sandy beach, shooting polar bears in a jungle and running away from smoke monsters. It's about Men of Science and Men of Faith, about love and mystery and Others. It's about Flashbacks , Submarines and Entering the Numbers into computer to save the world. About ancient history and magic light and Jacob. And ultimately it's about letting go.

Coincidentally, my life so far was about the same things.
It started in Kiev, Ukraine where my grandfather used to walk with me in the neighborhood until we would get lost.
  Getting lost is easy when you are 3 years old. Just  take a step off a beaten path, a spin, get carried away in a conversation, and then look around - you're in this  is this new, magical place.  "Where am I? How did I get here? Where do I go from here?" Lost.
  But as I grew older  I had to go further, spin harder and find ways to make conversations more engaging.

  When I was 17  I boarded a plain heading to America. But something went wrong ( or should I say something went right  - because everything happens for a reason ) and I found myself in this new magical place with warm climate, sandy beaches, beautiful outdoorsy girls, informal clothing, evil others, ancient history and magic light. Israel was a perfect place to get lost , to be a smoke monster ,do time travel and accumulate enough flashbacks for 10 afterlives. But I was not lost enough.

8 years ago like the (Oceanic 6) I tried to get off the Island. I boarded a plain that was supposed to go to the main land, but landed on this island instead. I was lost in this urban jungle like a polar bear, until I met my wife. One shot of her eyes- and this polar bear was down!  Stay! I stayed. Every day I enter   the numbers into the computer to save the world. But unlike Desmond , I am getting payed for doing that. My wife works for the Others. We moved out of the hatch into an Orchid Station on the main land. We commute on a submarine every weekday to enter the numbers, while our kids make secret experiments at the orchid station and play at the backyard. Three times a day I mention Avraham, Itzhack and Jacob in my prayers. And sometimes i still get Lost, while speaking in front of the audience.

So there you have it. A Man of Computer Science, A Man of Jewish Faith,  Lost and Found.

Popular posts from this blog

Disney World

Junk talk is bad for you

When I grow up I'll be a social worker