Buying Power

Your savings, your income, your assets. Your love. Your time. Your life. Your blood. Your sweat. Your body. Your soul. Your kids. Your people. Your reputation. Your name. Your face. That's your buying power. You can buy a book, a car, a house. You can buy a favor. You can buy into an idea.

 How much can you buy? How cheap? How fast? Are you getting a bargain? Is it a good deal? Do you even need it? Why did you buy? Does it make you happier?

I realized buying does not really make me happy. But not buying does. And letting go of things I don't need does. When I was a teenager my dad explained to me once why he wants to have money:

"I walk on the street and they are selling something. If I don't have money in my pocket I'll pass by and will be miserable because I can't afford the thing they are selling. But if I have money and time to check out the sale I'll come and look closer and will think to myself: "I don't need this crap". And I'll go on my way, happy.
 

Popular posts from this blog

Disney World

Junk talk is bad for you

When I grow up I'll be a social worker