Anti-Restaurant

Restaurants are great, but in moderation. Our family eats out no more than 10 times a year. But when we do I instantly notice a change in mindset. We expect to be fed, entertained, taken care of. We feel important and entitled. We judge the decor, the menu  and service. I like restaurants, but I don't like to be in a "customer mode".

When I cook at home it feels different. Making and serving food is a act of gift-giving. Consumption is about joy and gratitude. I don't worry about my guests giving a bad online review. My guests don't stress over the tip amount. But most importantly, we always keep in mind that it's not about the food, it's about interaction.
In a restaurant some people also focus on interaction, but it is easy to 'slip' into consumption-only mode, focusing your eyes on the plate and not on a person in front of you.

Which brings me to my idea of an anti-restaurant. It will be a place to build things together and enjoy the company and the drive of people around you without the need to consume. On the menu there will be things you can do, not things you can eat. DIY kits for arts, crafts, jewelry, make-your-date-a-sandwich, record-a-song, make-your-kid-a-toy, paint-your-daddy's-face. In a way it's similar to Kramer's DIY Pizza.

Popular posts from this blog

Disney World

When I grow up I'll be a social worker

Junk talk is bad for you